In the world of video content, streaming is fast becoming king. Not only are more people than ever watching mobile and online content, but various sectors are also seeing tremendous growth in streaming. Sports streaming alone will reach $85 billion by 2024, according to a Rethink TV study.
OTT solutions are also driving growth and creating new levels of brand loyalty across the board for broadcasters, movie makers, TV producers, and even traditional brick-and-mortar businesses like bars, restaurants, and sports leagues.
These growth trends show no sign of stopping — so it may be time for you to jump into the streaming market with your own OTT solution. Here’s how.
What IS OTT?
OTT stands for “over-the-top” and it’s the term applied to streaming content provided online as a standalone service. Think Netflix for a big example. OTT streaming solutions can include more than on-demand video, though. Messaging, audio streaming, live broadcasting, even internet-based calling all fall into this category.
The key that makes OTT so revolutionary is OTT solutions skip past traditional distribution channels such as broadcast networks and cable providers. OTT offerings are available to anyone who can connect to the internet. This means the barrier to entry is low — almost any business could potentially build an OTT app and benefit.
How OTT Can Help Your Business
OTT is appropriate for anyone with content to deliver. From small entities like local bars who want to stream live music to large content creators like Disney who want to give viewers direct access to premium content, almost anyone can use OTT software solutions to provide a unique user experience. OTT applications are flexible and provide a host of potential benefits:
- Customized user experience
- Opportunity for exclusive content
- Extras like messaging or VOIP easy to implement
- Monetization: Subscriptions, in-app purchases, and/or advertising
- Targeting: Ads can be customized to specific users for efficient ad spend
- Low cost to customers
- Low operating cost
- Multiple-device compatibility
- Direct access to customers
- Increased brand loyalty
- Wider reach
OTT video delivery solutions have been the obvious next step since streaming technology came into being, but as this area evolves, wise businesses will stay flexible to adapt to new changes. Chief among these is increased competition. Most major broadcasters and content companies are rolling out new OTT platforms, and users are already experiencing “subscription fatigue”. Going forward, it will be important to offer unique, quality content, and strive to be innovative.
OTT Solution Providers
As it turns out, implementing an OTT solution doesn’t have to be hard. There is a plethora of OTT solutions providers who can make the process seamless. Letting one of these companies do the hard work makes implementing an OTT app a no-brainer. Some of the top OTT solutions providers include:
- MAZ Systems – Obviously our choice for best of the bunch, but for good reason. MAZ users include everyone from Fortune 500 companies like Conde Nast and Forbes all the way to media startups.
- Appy Pie - Appy Pie is a cheap and easy alternative for new businesses or one-person teams. With Appy Pie, lets you create a simple, templated live streaming app for a low monthly fee.
- Muvi – Focused mainly on live streaming for events such as conferences, corporate meetings, and festivals.
- Contus Vplay – Vplay is geared toward video-on-demand offerings in a variety of industries from entertainment to government entities.
OTT Streaming Solutions for Everyone
OTT is here to stay, and although the technology will continue to evolve, it’s clear that any business creating video content or wanting to communicate with customers in a better way would be wise to look into their own OTT software solution. The benefits are too many to ignore, and the ease of implementation of these apps is too simple to be a barrier. Competition is a factor, but getting into the game early is the best way to stay ahead.
If you’re ready to move forward with your OTT platform, MAZ Systems is happy to help. Book a demo with us today.