From media to telcos, Over-the-top (OTT) app development and services are becoming increasingly important in the future of almost every industry. In 2019, the OTT market's value stood at $85.16 billion, and the number is expected to reach $194.20 billion by 2025. This shows just how big a threat OTT is to commercial TV channels, fueled by advertisers' and viewers' migration to the internet.
From traditional broadcasters adding an OTT service to new pure-play OTT entrants, OTT boasts some incredible user numbers, not just for big players like Disney and Netflix, but small and upcoming players too. For consumers, OTT means streaming anywhere, ad-free content, and watching whatever they want, whenever they want. It's safe to say that the cords are cut for good. Whether you're a content creator, influencer, entrepreneur, or business looking to expand your audience, you can do that easily with an OTT app.
How to Build, Develop and Launch an OTT App
Before developing and launching an OTT app, you should know a bit about the must-haves for any OTT business. Here are just a few of the main elements and moving parts that go into creating your own OTT app:
- A well-built and adaptive video player
- Access to multiple Content Delivery Networks (CDNs)
- A comprehensive content management system (CMS)
- A beautifully branded user interface and website
- Dedicated, equipped, and knowledgeable support network comprising your partners and third-parties
- Secure and seamless payment processing
- Subscription business statistics and video metrics
With these elements in mind, let's look at what you need to do to build and develop the app to run seamlessly and smoothly.
3 Methods of OTT App Development
Whatever your reason for developing an OTT app, you have three options to help you get started:
1. Develop the OTT app from scratch
In this case, you'll have total control over your OTT app, but you're also solely responsible for everything from the app's performance, content, and customer support. While this method helps you reduce costs, it takes longer to complete and launch.
2. Hire a dedicated developer or OTT app development company with relevant expertise
If you're new to OTT app development or don't know what the process entails, this is your best bet. You'll be relying on expert developers whose specialty is creating OTT apps to build it for you from scratch to your liking. It's also a good option if you have the budget for it and you're not in a hurry to get your app to market.
3. Lease a white-labeled OTT app
This is a more affordable and time-frame-friendly option that allows you to rent an OTT app for a flat monthly fee, and add your custom branding and content to make the app uniquely yours. Unlike the other two options, leasing the OTT app comes with hosting, tech support, maintenance, and CDNs, giving you more time to focus on content creation, business growth, and interaction with your audience.
How to Create an OTT App
Before creating your OTT app, you need to choose the technology stack, which includes a server, security systems, and streaming protocols. With those in place, here are the steps to take to create OTT apps.
- Decide on a niche that you want to target to earn a good volume of paid subscribers.
- Have a content inventory plan that outlines the type of content you'll stream, frequency of updating the content, whether it will be free or available upon subscription, and if it will be delivered in parts or all at once.
- With your niche and content inventory in hand, choose a business model for your OTT app. You can make it ad-based, subscription-based, or a transaction model. The ad-based model offers content that's free to stream, while subscription and transaction models give users access after paying for a subscription or through a pay-per-view model, respectively.
- Next, create your branded OTT website that offers an easy user experience, especially when they can't access your app.
- Decide on the technology stack you'll use to build the OTT app, which will depend on your app idea and exact specifications.
- The last step is to hire a developer or company that offers OTT development services to build the OTT app for you. Before launching your app, make sure you review the content, audience, marketing, and monetization with your OTT app developer.
Ready to get started with your OTT app? MAZ is an all-in-one OTT solution with a highly-rated yet affordable platform for companies of all sizes. Our solution helps you build OTT apps and websites, host video, live stream, and monetize. You can do everything you need with MAZ as your partner to develop and launch your OTT app, increase profits and decrease development costs.
MAZ supports all major app platforms, offers fast launch time, live streaming, and VOD capabilities, all with enterprise-grade quality. Plus, you don't need any coding or design knowledge and experience. Ready to build and launch your OTT app? Request a demo of MAZ or get in touch with us today.